Katie Chapmon is an award-winning Registered Dietitian specializing in bariatric nutrition and digestive issues. With over 13 years of hands-on clinical experience, Katie has worked with leading medical providers and individual clients to transform lives.
She spent the first decade of her career as a bariatric dietitian, seeing 800+ patients per year and eventually becoming the Bariatric Nutrition Lead for Kaiser Permanente Southern California. Now, Katie is the go-to for bariatric centers, doctors, surgeons and organizations to provide clinical insights and inform the creation of protocols to enhance patient care.
Through years of collaboration with other practitioners, she’s been able to optimize care, achieve practice goals and strategize best practices:
- Provided guidance and nutritional thought leadership to patients, surgeons, support groups and other allied medical professionals across 13 Kaiser Permanente locations in Southern California, developing actionable strategies and policies.
- Created and rolled out standardized clinical guidelines to medical professionals, cultivating a reputation as foundational resource for Bariatric Medicine
- Leveraged clinical and nutritional expertise to develop practitioner and patient centered education programs, leading virtual trainings and conducting ongoing educational outreach to enhance awareness, strengthen doctor-patient relationships, and improve clinical outcomes
For the past several years, she has been working with industry partners and consumers to improve nutrition education within the field, and maintains a private practice counseling pre and post-surgical patients. She currently serves as the Immediate Past Chair of the American Society of Metabolic and Bariatric Surgery Integrated Health Clinical Issues Committee and a Chapter Author of the 3rd Edition of the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics Pocket Guide to Bariatric Surgery.
Read More from Katie:
- 30 Ways to Look Beyond the Scale, Bariatric Advantage Blog
- Socioeconomic Factors Impacting Obesity Care: Identifying and Addressing Challenges in Clinical Practice, Bariatric Times
- Pregnancy and Bariatric Surgery, Bariatric Food Coach
- Protein, Carbohydrates and Fat for Pregnancy after Bariatric Surgery, Bariatric Food Coach
- Vitamins and Minerals for Pregnancy after Bariatric Surgery, Bariatric Food Coach
- Breastfeeding after Bariatric Surgery, Bariatric Food Coach
- The Science of Food Addiction, Health Wise
- Cozy Up for Fall: Tips for Making Healthy Soups and Stews, Obesity Action Coalition
- Light It Up: Easy, Healthy Meals on the Grill, Obesity Action Coalition
- All or Nothing Nutrition: Why Giving Up Some Foods Limits Potential Healthy Eating, Obesity Action Coalition
- Description of Revisional Bariatric Surgery Operations Performed in a Diverse Population of Patients from a Large Integrated Health Care System, Surgery for Obesity and Related Diseases
- Gallstones, Deficiencies, & Hair Loss - Oh My! Managing the Nutrition Challenges of Weight Loss, Orgain Healthcare